The CON-RCO EveryBODY Matters Collaborative represents a strong multi-disciplinary partnership of weight bias and obesity stigma researchers from across disciplines and research areas. Our goal is to go beyond simply raising awareness of the existence of weight bias and stigma in Canada, towards promoting behaviour, practice, and policy change among key stakeholders.
Dr. Arya M. Sharma, MD/PhD, FRCPC - Scientific Director, Canadian Obesity Network
Sara Kirk, PhD
Erin Cameron BA, BEd, Dip(Comm), MA(IIComm), PhD
Shelly Russell-Mayhew BSc, MSc, PhD
Mary Forhan BScOT, MHSc., PhD
Angela Alberga BSc, MSc, PhD
Ximena Ramos Salas MSc, PhD Candidate, Managing Director, Canadian Obesity Network
Membership in this collaborative is open to any CON member with an interest or expertise in weight bias and obesity stigma. If you are interested in joining this collaboration, please contact Ximena Ramos Salas via email at email@example.com. Please include a summary of your experience and expertise, along with brief details of any resources and/or publications relevant to weight bias and obesity stigma.
EveryBODY Matters Collaborative Initiatives
The CON EveryBODY Matters Collaborative has worked on many initiatives to address weight bias and obesity stigma in Canada.
First, the 1st Canadian Weight Bias Summit (January 2011) and the 2nd Weight Bias Summit (March 2015) identified a number of research needs, and provided clear direction for areas to target in terms of education and action. At the 3rd Weight Bias Summit participants shared evidence and best practices to reduce weight bias in education, healthcare and public policy sectors.
Second, we have just completed a systematic review of weight bias reduction interventions among health professionals (Alberga, Russell-Mayhew et al.) that will provide the evidence-informed direction for the implementation of innovative solutions in weight bias in the healthcare sector.
Third, we have engaged educational theory related to anti-discrimination work and health-related stigmas more broadly to help inform our educational intervention focused on weight bias reduction.
Finally, we have developed weight bias reduction interventions in Canada including but not limited to:
- An arts-based, interprofessional workshop entitled “Behind the Scenes: Interprofessional Insight on Patients’ and Practitioners’ Interactions and Experiences with Obesity Management, co-led by Dr. Sheri Price and Dr. Sara Kirk, Dalhousie University Faculty of Health Professions and funded by CIHR. This workshop was held across Atlantic Canada in 2013-2014.
- An online Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) entitled “Behind the Scenes: Addressing Weight Bias and Stigma in Obesity” and led by Dr. Sara Kirk, Canada Research Chair and a Professor of health promotion with Dalhousie University's School of Health and Human Performance. Research publication can be found here.
- An in-person education experience utilizing the only bariatric care suite in Canada entitled “Obesity Management Certificate Program for Interdisciplinary Health Professionals” and led by Dr. Mary Forhan and Dr. Arya M. Sharma and hosted in collaboration with the Canadian Obesity Network and the University of Alberta’s Health Sciences and Research Commons (HSERC).
- A public health educational tools on healthy living called "Let's Talk About Weight: No Size Fits All". This educational resources was developed in collaboration with CON-RCO FOCUS partner, Dairy Farmers of Canada, and is being disseminated to public health professionals and the general public across Canada.
Recent EveryBODY Matters Events
- Canadian Institutes for Health Research- Strategy for Patient-Oriented Research Summit. Ottawa Oct. 25-27
- The Summit brings together SPOR stakeholders, including patients, federal/provincial/territorial ministries, partners, researchers and clinicians. Participation is by invitation only.
- European Obesity Summit, June 1-4, 2016, Gothenburg, Sweden
- Interactive Symposium: EveryBODY Matters- Addressing weight stigma in research, practice and policy.
- 5th Canadian Obesity Summit - April 26-28, 2017, Banff, AB
- Research Symposium: Nothing About Me, Without Me! People-Centered Weight Bias Research
- 24th European Congress on Obesity, May 17-20, 2017, Porto, Portugal
- Stigma Workshop Presentation: Unintended consequences of public health obesity prevention strategies
- Alberta Health Services - Strategic Clinical Network: Diabetes, Obesity & Nutrition, June 23, 2017
- Research Presentation: Moving towards consensus on weight reduction messages and strategies.
EveryBODY Matters Resources
- Let's Talk About Weight: No Size Fits All - This brochure promotes the importance of a balanced diet, regular physical activity and good sleep hygiene as the best way to improve health and well-being, regardless of weight.